There are some days when laughter is the best possible pick me up and here there is much that is surreal or plain daft. So today I thought I would share a few of the memories I am saving for a rainy day when I need a smile to hand:
- the unforgettable Chinese opera that sounded like a cat being killed slowly, at length..
- being ushered into the VIP section for Chinese diplomats for no apparent reason and then congratulated on my excellent English?!
- causing a mini riot in a five star hotel by making an appearance on the dance floor – and having volunteers step forward to do my crowd control!
- being put into yet another VIP section as protection from big moustached men with wildly gyrating pelvises..
- going to exhibits and being the most photographed thing.
- the regular random text messages that suggest I get myself de-wormed..
- learning that deep fried lentil balls have a name in Bangla that sounds like a squirrel sneezing in a strong wind.
- my lost in translation that caused me to suggested boiled vegetables should be added to trifle to add colour and taste.
- cooking experiments where I faithfully follow instructions but end up with no idea about what was in the box or what it is I’ve made..
- trying to food shop when I don’t recognise anything and have serious doubts about whether I really want a snake gourd in the house..
- speaking Hausa to an Arab, Arabic to a Bangladeshi and then total gibberish to myself.
- asking for the exit, ending up in the ladies and then hanging around to try and be polite!
- learning to say ‘breasts together’ in German… which allegedly means cheers if you’re swiss, silly and very very buxom..
- being overheard calling a street dog ‘sweetheart’ by a giggling local
- mud bathing in mangrove muck until not an inch of skin was clean and then slip-skidding even deeper into it with the boldest of the kiddies
- giving new lyrics to ‘Eye of the Tiger’ – now known as ‘Overweight Tiger’ – because it felt much safer walking in the forest if the big cats were all cutting back..
- making up my own names for the constellations the sailing overhead – the curly tailed tiger was my personal favourite but the confused extraterrestrial came a close second..
Thank you for silly. Thank you for laughter…